In a federal lawsuit filed on Monday, September 17th, a former rival of Casino mogul Steve Wynn made allegations stating that the company founded by Steve Wynn lied and covered up its misconduct in order to dupe Massachusetts into granting a license for a $2 billion casino.
According to the lawsuit filed on Monday in Boston’s federal court, it states that Sterling Suffolk Racecourse would have prevailed over Wynn Resorts provided there was an “honest competition.”
However, given that Wynn Resorts fixed the application process along with concealing its sexual misconduct to illegally secure a license for the Everett casino that’s all set to open in June, it was not a fair competition, the lawsuit alleges.
After sexual misconduct allegations were made against Steve Wynn he announced his resignation as chairman and chief executive of Wynn resorts back in February. The company then went on to rename itself from Wynn Boston Harbor to Encore Boston Harbor. The allegations were however denied by Wynn.
In a statement given by Wynn Resorts on Tuesday, September 18th it said that the claims are frivolous and it will plinth a vigorous defense.
According to the lawsuit filed by Sterling Suffolk Racecourse, operator of horse racing at Suffolk Downs, it claims that Wynn would have been disqualified if the company would have mentioned it received a Mafia associate’s financial interest in the casino site or showed Wynn’s “pattern of sexual abuse and its cover-up.”
The lawsuit also highlighted that Wynn Casino is being built at the site of a former Monsanto chemical plant, which makes Suffolk Downs racetrack “by far the best-suited location” for a casino.
According to the lawsuit, which alleges that Wynn broke racketeering laws, it claims that, “Even after the site was remediated and the regulations amended to countenance higher levels, a license was granted to the Wynn Defendants to operate their casino on a toxic waste site which is still filled with levels of arsenic that is so enormous that even a child day care center would not get permission to be set up there.
Sterling Suffolk also said that it was forced to sell Suffolk Downs last year for “dramatically less” than planned had it won the casino license. The company also said that Wynn Resort’s actions caused the company to lose more than a billion dollars.
Notably, an immediate response for the email sent on Tuesday, September 18th was not given by a lawyer for Sterling Suffolk Racecourse.
Back in the first month of 2018, a review of Wynn Resort’s ability to continue enjoying its license permit even after the sexual misconduct allegations against Steve Wynn was released by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission with the probe expected to wrap up shortly.
According to an investigator for the commission, during the initial background check of the company and its principals which was conducted back in 2013, information about the $7.5 million settlement with one woman was not revealed to officials of Massachusetts.
Back in May, a request made to remove Wynn’s name from the license in Massachusetts was agreed by the commission. An argument was made by Wynn’s lawyer claiming that his client no longer had a business relationship or a financial interest with his former company after his resignation.
However, regardless of everything, The panel said that it will continue to investigate Wynn Resorts and its handling of the sexual misconduct allegations.